What information do we collect?
We collect information relating to you that you have provided to us when you:
- use our THRMoA Website (maorilawsociety.co.nz);
- contact us, including via social media, email or telephone;
- sign up to the THRMoA annual membership (Membership);
- update your Membership details; and
- use any THRMoA service, as advertised on our Website (Services).
We will only collect this information directly from you.
The information we collect may include:
- your name, contact details and location;
- information about your whakapapa and level of fluency in te reo Māori;
- information about your place of work, position, practice area(s) and legal experience;
- information in connection with the use of our Services;
- the date and time you use our Website and the URLs of the pages you visit;
- other data you provide when using one of the tools available on our Website;
- any photos or other content posted by you on any of our platforms;
- the IP address of your device when connected to the internet – these are assigned to devices on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network – and the domain name from which you are accessing the internet; and
- the operating system and browser your device uses, and any search engine you are using.
We may also monitor and record your correspondence with us whether via our Website, social media, email or telephone.
You can prevent new cookies from being installed and delete existing cookies through the tools on your internet browser. You may be unable to make full use of our Website unless you accept cookies.
We also use third party cookies from Google Analytics which help us better understand browsing behaviour in order to create a better experience for you when you visit the THRMoA Website.
How do we use your information?
We use your information in order to:
- provide you with access to, and use of the THRMoA Membership portal on our Website and/or the Services (if you have signed up);
- provide you with information about your Membership, THRMoA events or the Services (including promotional material and news) which may we think is relevant to you;
- improve or update the Website or the Services;
- enable us to run any competition or promotion;
- communicate with you by post, telephone, text message, email or any other electronic means of communication (we will only contact you by email or text message if we have your consent); and
- personalise the THRMoA Website and the Services to your preferences.
When will we share your information with third parties?
There may be times when we need to disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only use or disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993;
- if you have authorised us to do so;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others; or
- if we are required or permitted by law to disclose such information.
We will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to third parties.
You authorise us to disclose your information to:
- any person or organisation as authorised by the Privacy Act 1993;
- our suppliers, consultants, service companies and other contractors who provide us with products or services which support the Services we provide; and
- anyone who hosts or maintains data centres, service platforms, cloud based solutions and other infrastructure and systems on behalf of us, where your information is processed, hosted or stored.
How do we protect your information?
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Although we’ll use our best efforts to keep your information secure at all times, any personal information you transmit to us over the internet (whether by email or otherwise) will be at your own risk.
What happens when we no longer need your information?
We take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is deleted once it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
Changes to this policy
Your rights in relation to your information
You can access or request correction or amendment of personal information we hold about you by either logging into the Membership portal or by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.